This coming week we will also spend some time discussing and acting out significant events of Holy Week. On Holy Thursday our class will join Ms Basten's class for stations of the cross. The Grade Four students will lead us through each station with readings, explanations and quiet responses. Please ask your child about this activity when they arrive home next Thursday.
Next up in Math we are going explore some measurement concepts like mass, temperature and capacity and start a big unit of study on geometric 3D shapes which will take us until the end of April.
Please continue to practice basic operation skills at home (addition and subtraction with regrouping) and review the times tables glued into your child's agenda each week for mastery
After Easter, the children will begin a narrative writing unit. We will examine the features of narrative writing and set about applying all the spelling, grammar, and adjective lessons to produce polished and quality pieces of writing. Please be on the look out for some stories to becoming home in mid April.
How can you help? Encourage your child to write at home. Emphasize the correct application of learned spelling and appropriate beginning and ending punctuation. Please review all word lists with your child or spelling mastery.
In Science, we had a great afternoon of exploring strength and stability in structures with first hand building activities provided by " Let's Talk Science" a volunteer program set up by Ottawa University. This activity was a great spring board for our unit exploration of Structures. A few of our learning goals are as follows:
• how to correctly use the terms structure, purpose, load, struts, ties, frame, compression, tension, stable, building, foundation, forces, gravity, architects
• what a structure is
• about the purpose of different structures
• about frames of buildings
• how different shapes make structures stronger
• how a foundation strengthens a structure • about forces that affect structures
• how structures are affected by their surroundings and vice versa
2. Congratulations to our CGE award winners this month for the theme of Justice..... Bravo Jack, Emily, and Bradley!
3. Popcorn day is every Friday and the cost is two dollars.
4 Library books are due every Monday. Your child is able to renew his or her book if need be but it must be brought back to school in order to do so.
5.Your child will be bringing home his or her own personal rosary on Tuesday March 27th.
6. Thank you in advance for any paint chips that were donated for our upcoming art activity.
7 A most heartfelt thank you to my parent volunteers that arrive faithfully every week to help the students. You are truly making a difference in the lives of our children.
8. A reminder that teacher supervision for the school yard begins at 8:55 am every day. Please ensure your child is not dropped off in the school yard before this time. Thank you!!
Thank you for your continued support.