It hard to believe that we are already into the month of October. September just sailed by and it was extremely busy, productive, and lots of fun!! Classroom routines and patterns are now well established. The students are showing grit and determination, respecting and following routines, and being kind and caring classmates. As I said in my last blog post...... it is full steam ahead!
What is really going on in the story?
Why did the author create this problem?
What do we think will happen?
For nonfiction, questioning often guides our next steps: where do we find more information?
Questioning makes us re-read. Our brains like clarity and order, not confusion!
We just finished a descriptive paragraph about a very special person.......Mom!!! The boys and girls did a great job webbing their ideas and making effective use of the graphic organizer The paragraphs will arrive home for you to read and enjoy.
Later in October, we will do a lighter study on Explanatory Writing.
For example, we often vote to choose an activity and in real life, we use the mode to determine the flavour of pizza to order! Mode is the first measure of central tendency that students learn in math. In later grades, they learn about the value of the median and the average of a data set.
In Science, we will be beginning on a unit about plants and the important role that plants play in our lives. Connections will be made to being responsible advocates of our environment. As well, some cool experiments will allow the children to have insight into how plants grow and live.
1. Please remember to sign your child's agenda each night.
2. Please make reading an essential part of your child's nightly routine. Read with and to them. Discuss the story.
3. Home Learning Link goes home each Monday. It is due back on Friday. This week we are asking for it to be returned on Thursday due to the PD day on Friday.
4. Library is every Monday. Books must be returned in order to get a new book.
5. October Book Orders will go home on the 10th and are due on the 14th.
6. Please take advantage of the online learning opportunities (RAZ Readers, Prodigy, Dreambox) that are available to your child for free and highly recommended to support the learning that takes place here at school.
6. P.D. Day (no school for students) – Friday, October 6th.
I would like to thank you for your continued support. Wishing you and your family a blessed and peaceful Thanksgiving weekend.