You can help at home by regularly exposing your child to the math that is around them every day. (e.g How many squares are in that window pane? If there are two windows...how many squares would there be all together? Ask your child about the Problem Of the WeeK.
In English, we have been focusing on editing our written work with greater accuracy and independence. The children are very familiar with the "must Have" checklists we use on a regular basis. A big focus heading into Grade Two is to use the word wall and word banks for spelling accuracy. Inventive spelling should be used less and less as your child's writing and spelling skills improve. You can help your child at home by helping him/her to master the spelling of the word wall lists sent home each week and more importantly by encouraging the application of the correct spelling in written assignment.
1. Your child will be bringing home a collection of their learning activities for you to see on Thursday, May 18th. Please take the time to look through them and discuss them with your child. return the work bag on Tuesday, May 22nd. Thank you!
2. The warm weather will soon be upon us........we hope! It is very tempting to slip on a pair of flip flops....however please ensure your child wears foot wear suitable to running and playing in the schoolyard.
3. Please ensure you check and sign your child's agenda each night. We use it as a communication tool and pertinent classroom information is put in the agenda each night.
4. Scientists In The School will run a workshop for the grade one students at St. Luke School on May 26th. We will be sending home a note asking for parent volunteers.
5. The Grade Ones have been doing a wonderful job reading their prayers on the announcements. Each child will have the chance to read before the end of the year if they choose to do so.
Thank you for your continued support. Have a wonderful May Long weekend.