In English this week the students worked on improving their descriptive writing skills with a "What Do You Love?" activity. Our continued goal of focus is to write sentences with the proper punctuation, capitalization and more descriptive words. The students are learning to use the resources around the room (anchor charts, word banks, word wall) and to apply learned spelling strategies.
We also brainstormed ideas for our missing snowman activity and have just finished the planning/prewriting stage. The snow day on Wednesday threw a wrench in our plans to finish before the end of the week........so next week we will have fun writing descriptive clues for twenty one missing snowmen!!
In reading we used shared reading time to make predictions and further develop inferring skills. We read the book "Osbert The penguin" in sections and then broke into groups to make inferences. We will continue with more inferring activities next week.
Please continue to read and review the weekly word wall words with your child at home each night. This routine is essential for developing sound,independent, and confident readers.
We have also started our data management unit. Next week the boys and girls will collect data among themselves and learn to use a simple bar graph to show the results.
1. A class Valentine list was taped into your child's agenda on Monday. We will have a class celebration on Friday, February 12th.
2. A february book order will be sent home with your child on Monday, February 8th and is be due on February 17th.
3. Ash Wednesday Ceremony will be held on Wednesday, February 10th @ 9;45am
4. Report cards will be distributed on Tuesday, February 16th.
5. The Grade ones will celebrating 100's Day with some fun activities through the course of next week.