I will also be sending home a list of just some of the words that are presently on our Math word wall. This is the vocabulary we are using on a daily basis. The children are encouraged to apply the correct terminology when answering questions or explaining their thinking.
How can you help?
Please revisit the words on the word wall list. Have your child explain the meaning or significance to the activities in our class.
Practice addition and subtraction facts with your child. Mental math activities while driving in the car is a great way to to sharpen these skills. Present your child with a number......then ask for 10 more.....10 less.....round the number to the nearest 100...etc......
Along with our reading activities, the students will be writing a Haiku poem about the skeleton they created on Friday. A Haiku poem is a 17 syllable poem that is very short in nature but requires the use of strong adjectives to create imagery. Should be lots of fun!!
Continue to review word wall words at home with your child. Our goal is to have the children spell these words correctly while writing. Reading each night is absolutely essential. A reminder of some questions to use with your child to initiate a discussion about what he or she has read:
- Which character do you like the best, why?
- Does the setting of this book remind you of somewhere you have been?
- What was your favourite part of the book? Why was it your favourite part?
- Have you read any books by the same author, are there connections you can make?
- What do you think is going to happen next?
- What do you think the author is trying to tell you? How do you know?
2. The Grade Three students have been invited to be the chorus in a drama production at Centrepointe Theatre. The performance is called "Doll's House" and it will be held on November 23rd. The children will be singing three songs "Halfway Down the Stairs, Christmas' is A-Comin', and I'll Fly Away." A letter will be sent home providing more information once all the details have been confirmed.
3. Book Orders: Just a gentle reminder....if ordering books no cash can be sent through the mail. Please make cheque payable to Scholastic Canada Ltd.
4. Popcorn days are on Friday. The children can purchase popcorn for $2.
5. Halloween is just around the corner! As in previous years, children are most welcome to wear their Halloween costume.....Masks are not permitted and lightly prepared makeup or none at all is recommended.
6. Highlighters: the children are now in the habit of highlighting their directions as they read them. Please send in a yellow pencil crayon, crayon or highlighter with your child if you haven't done so all ready. Thank you!
7. Progress Reports will go home on Tuesday October 31st. Parent Teacher Interviews will be held Thursday, November 2nd. Please book your interview online. I look forward to chatting with you all.
8. Take Me Outside Day will be held this coming Wednesday October 23rd. St. Luke students will be outside at different times through out the day for a full hour taking advantage of the great outdoors......getting unplugged.....and getting ourselves moving!!
8. A big congratulations goes out to Teagan, James, Sanjana, and Alyss!!! They are our CGE award winners for Community.