In English we continued to further develop our reading and writing skills. This week our focus was on descriptive writing. The boys and girls created comparison charts for both Spring and Winter. They then wrote descriptive hello and good bye sentences for these seasons. The students are expected to add the appropriate use of capitals and sentence stoppers independently, to apply learned spelling strategies and to make accurate use of the word wall as they move closer and closer to Grade two.
In reading, we have started reading "Charlotte's Web". The kids absolutely love how the story is unfolding and the characters in the novel have generated lots of great discussions. We use this read-aloud time to make inferences, text to self, and text to text connections. Next week we are going to write a description of the main character (Wilbur) and identify problem and solutions in the story to this point.
Our word wall word lists are done for the year. However, we will be sending home a review list each week with ten words. We ask that you have your child practice spelling these words. Each Friday we will be giving the students a spelling "check Up" to help motivate the students to master these necessary spelling skills. The work that you do with your child at home is greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance for the parents who have volunteered to assist us on this day.
In religion we came together as a community on Friday to celebrate Easter. Our theme was Alleluia. It was a beautiful, and prayerful celebration for everyone at St. Luke school.
next week we will be begin Unit Three "created Sexual Male And Female" in the Family Life program. A letter outlining the scope and sequence of this unit was sent home in your child's agenda.
1. The Grade Ones' theme for the Spring Raffle basket is Chocolate Lovers. Please see the note sent Home on April 5th for further details.
2. Spring is a soggy time of the year. it would be great if you could tuck in a change of clothes into your son/daughter's backpack.
3. If your child's end of day routine changes, please notify the school in the form of a written note. Thank you!
4. The Grade Ones' will be doing readings and singing a song at our Education Week mass in May. More details will sent home.
5. the homework calendar that is sent home on Monday of each week provides important classroom information. Please take the time to read through it with your child.
Thank you for your continued support.