Most of our English activities this week were religious based and supported by our exploration of Holy Week. Some of our read-alouds were "The easter Story", "The road To Easter day", and "The Miracles Of jesus". The stories were very child friendly, age appropriate, and stimulated some great wonderings and discussions as a result. The boys and girls also created a "holy Week" booklet and will be adding a special dedication for someone near and dear to their heart. We wrapped up the week creating a special green screen project with Miss Altobelli's class...........we will post and tweet out the finished product very soon!
As well, the boys and girls love our daily read-aloud. presently we are in the middle of Charlotte's Web. The kids are so intrigued at how the story is unfolding and the characters in the novel have generated lots of great discussions. We use this read-aloud time to make inferences, text to self, and text to text connections. we have written a description of one of the main characters (Wilbur) are learning to identify the problems and solutions in the story up to this point. It seems to be unanimous that This is the best part of the day for many of my wee ones!! they love to turn on the "movie theatre" in their minds and visualize what is being read to them, Ask your child about his or her favourite character?
The students also sequenced pictures that depicted the major events of "The Easter story". The boys and girls then worked with a pair share partner and practiced retelling the story using the visual prompts. The children continue to improve their communication skills and did a wonderful job presenting their stories using order words ( first, next, then, and finally). This activity will be sent home next week for your child to share with you.
Looking ahead we will be exploring money. Please revisit counting by 5''s and 10's at home with your child and help them to make the necessary connection to nickels and dimes.
1. Our word wall word lists are done for the year. However, we started sending home a review list each week with ten words. We ask that you have your child practice spelling these words. Each Friday we will be giving the students a spelling "check Up" to help motivate the students to master these necessary spelling skills. The work that you do with your child at home is greatly appreciated.
2. The Grade Ones' theme for the Spring Raffle basket is "Summer Fun". Please see the note sent Home on April 6th for further details.
3. Spring is a soggy time of the year. it would be great if you could tuck in a change of clothes into your son/daughter's backpack.
4. If your child's end of day routine changes, please notify the school in the form of a written note. Thank you!
5. please send in a baby picture of your child. We are going to be writing who Am I riddles which is always such fun for the boys and girls. W will return the pictures when the activity is completed.
6. Spring Spirit Week will take place April 18th-21st. More details to follow.