A most hearty St. Luke welcome to two new friends: Liam and Janiah
During Math class, the children regularly explore new concepts and build skills through focused mini lessons, exploration time with manipulatives, pair share challenges, and then finally independent work time. This gradual release of responsibility allows each child to become more confident and to develop the skills needed to work to his or her potential.
How can you help?
Please revisit the concept of regrouping (double digit addition and subtraction) with your child at home. Computation skills are ongoing in our classroom and any extra practice at home will be of great benefit.
In Reading, we have been visualizing and making relevant connections during our daily read-alouds, self selected time, and independent reading activities. We have also begun to look for proof in stories to explain our answers and to infer and predict using the text and picture clues. The children are making great use of their highlighters at this time. Finding proof is a skill the students will use for their entire academic career.
Focused mini lessons on spelling patterns and strategies, punctuation placement, and the appropriate grammar usage will be ongoing throughout the year.
Continue to help your child master the correct spelling of the weekly word wall words sent home each week. As well, please ensure a nightly reading routine has been established.
1. Our tech centers are up and running next week. Please send in a pair of head phones labelled with your child's name for in class use.
2. The children have been bringing home their home learning link each Friday. Please return it to school the following Friday. Thank you.
3. October Book Orders have been sent home. Just a gentle reminder to make payments through cheque only. They are due on the 10th.
4. Login information for online learning activities (Prodigy, Zorbits, Raz Kids) has been sent home. Please allow your child access to these excellent online resources.
5. Please read and initial your child's agenda each night and ensure any mail sent home is removed from the front pocket...thank you!
6. St. Luke Fall Food Drive starts Tuesday October 1st and runs until October 8th. Thank you in advance for all donations.
7. Swim To Survive sessions are scheduled for October 7th, 21st, and 28th. All session will be held at the Walter Baker Sports Centre in Barrhaven.
8. Our class twitter site is a great source of "on the spot information" from our daily activities as well as pertinent school events. Check it out @Milnegrade3
9. Our library time has been rescheduled for Monday. The children will visit the learning commons for book exchange and Makerspace activities.