During the next two weeks, we will spend some time discussing and acting out significant events of Holy Week. On Holy Thursday our class will join Ms Basten's class for stations of the cross. The Grade Four students will lead us through each station with readings, explanations and quiet responses. Please ask your child about this activity when they arrive home next Thursday.
Presently in Math we exploring some measurement concepts like mass, temperature and capacity but our big unit of study is on geometric 3D shapes which will take us until the end of April.
Please continue to practice basic operation skills at home (addition and subtraction with regrouping) and review the times tables glued into your child's agenda each week. A times table check up is given to the children each Friday.
In English, the student have been reading a variety of texts. They have been polishing up their inferencing skills and learning how to answer questions with proof from the stories and from their own personal experiences. This is a more complicated process that is multi-step and requires a variety of reading skills at one time (analyzing, synthesizing, connecting). I have seen great gains and progress from each and every student. As well, I have been putting examples of these types of questions in your child's Home Learning Link. Please take a look at your son or daughter's activities to date.
How can you help? Encourage your child to write at home. Emphasize the correct application of learned spelling and appropriate beginning and ending punctuation. Please review all word lists with your child or spelling mastery
• how to correctly use the terms structure, load, stability ties, frame, strength stable, building, foundation, forces, gravity, architects
• what a structure is
• about the purpose of different structures
• about frames of buildings
• how different shapes make structures stronger
• how a foundation strengthens a structure • about forces that affect structures
• how structures are affected by their surroundings and vice versa
We are fortunate to be having a mini workshop at the end of April with " Let's Talk Science" a volunteer program set up by Ottawa University. The workshop will focus on Matter and Materials and is based around hands on learning tasks. This activity will leads us nicely into our next unit of study.
2. Congratulations to our CGE award winners this month for the theme of Justice..... Bravo to Rujul Danielle, Nathan, and Elizabeth!
3. Popcorn day is every Friday and the cost is two dollars.
4. Library books are due on Monday. Your child is able to renew his or her book if need be but it must be brought back to school in order to do so.
5. Thank you in advance for any paint chips that were donated for our art activity. The children will be finishing them up next week and we will put them in display for all to see and enjoy.
7 A most heartfelt thank you to my parent volunteers that arrive faithfully every week to help the students. You are truly making a difference in the lives of our children.
8. A reminder that teacher supervision for the school yard begins at 8:55 am every day. Please ensure your child is not dropped off in the school yard before this time. Thank you!!
9. Our Grade Threes wrapped up an amazingly successful Choose Kind campaign. There was so much authentic learning and each child was heavily invested in the project. After production costs, we raised well over 600 dollars!!! The money will be used to purchase a wheelchair accessible picnic table, parachute, and some other sensory items for our friends in the DE room. A heartfelt thank you for supporting your child and his/her classmates in this endeavor.