We all know that Advent is a very special time in our Catholic Faith. All around us, we can see that our families and community use the season as a time to get ready to celebrate the feast of Christmas. While it is very important to use this time to prepare our homes, it is even more important to use Advent to prepare our hearts for the celebration of the birth of Jesus. Our St. Luke students are being challenged to prepare their hearts in a special way. The students are being asked to bring in new mittens, scarves, hats, gloves, and socks and well as donations for the Angel Tree. These warm fuzzy gifts will be donated to local organizations to help those who are less fortunate. Please challenge your child to work and “earn” their warm, fuzzy offerings. Then, it becomes a work of the heart and a gift from the heart.
In Math, we just finished up an in-depth study of data management. Our present focus is now measurement (linear measurement is the “biggie” in Grade 3). This unit focuses on choosing correct tools for measuring, choosing and applying appropriate units, examining the relationships between perimeter and area, and working collaboratively to solve related story problems. This unit also gives us lots of real life practice for counting and adding. As well, we will use it later on to introduce multiplication (faster to multiply than to add repeatedly!). Please note we are constantly working on improving addition and subtraction skills. We will also begin some “hands-on” work with multiplication. If you are looking to support your child's numeracy development, please provide some double digit addition and subtraction practice (regrouping).
Thank you for taking the time to support your child with his/her home learning link. Each child is becoming more responsible and making solid connections as a result of this extra practice time.
1. Please ensure your child has spare mittens and socks in their backpack so they can change if necessary.
2. December Book Orders are due December 3rd. Just a gentle reminder that payment is by cheque only and that the final cost of your order varies from province to province. Please ensure you send in the proper funds for Ontario (listed at the top) of each item.
3. Please remember to sign your child's agenda each night. As well, have your child remove any mail in the front agenda and give it to you to read. :)
4. Our kleenex supply is getting low and winter cold season has just begun. We would be very grateful if you could send in another box of kleenex. Thank you!
5. Thank you for reading with your child every night! Discuss the story. Have them re-read the story, or part of the story, to improve their fluency.
6. Congratulations to our CGE award winners Nehita, Mackenzie, and Ethan for Dignity of Persons. Bravo!!
7. Tis' The Season: Children are encouraged to bring in any Christmas cds and story books that you would like to lend to us for the next three weeks. Please label them. We will ensure they come home in time for the Christmas holidays.
8. St. Luke Christmas Concert: Wednesday, December 19th @1:00 pm.